Saturday, January 2, 2010

I Pledge Allegiance...

It's taken me quite some time, but I'm beginning to understand that blind faith, that unwavering, unflagging, unconditional allegiance is generally not a good idea, in anything or anybody. Now don't get me wrong, to support friends, family, favorite sports teams (Go, Wings!), country, etc., is fine, but to do so without even thinking about it (or worse yet, while ignoring my better instincts, or judgement) can lead to trouble. Some people are just plain stupid, mean, devious, or off their rockers, and its better to just keep your distance.

I wish I had known this years ago. Just because they fly the same flag, wear the same colors, share a common history, or even the same name, does not mean you owe them to follow when they run off the cliff or burn the bridge.

Live for yourself. Live honestly. Do what's right and best for you. You'll respect yourself in the morning, trust me. And if "they" don't like it, tough!

That's one of my New Year's Resolutions. I'm going to stop living for other people, and live for me. That's not to say I'm going to ignore my responsibilities as a husband and father. When my wife an kids are healthy and happy, then I am too. They will always be at the top of my list of priorities. I'm talking about the people who bring drama and strife into my life. I'm talking about people who distract and divert my attention and energy from acheiving the goal of a happy and healthy life. I have neither the time, nor the patience for that any longer. If you wish to bring any of that into my house, you are not welcome here.

No comments:

Post a Comment